Chemical Science- Materials
LI: Introduce students to materials and their uses.
- Define materials
- List different types of materials
- Understand the difference between Natural and Processed materials
- Define components and how they relate to materials.
Copy this information into your Science Books
Materials are NATURAL or PROCESSED resources used to create products or environments.
NATURAL MATERIALS can come from the Earth such as stone or metals.
PROCESSED MATERIALS have been created by people to serve a purpose. For example; plastics, fibres and concrete.
Many items have multiple COMPONENTS. Meaning different materials are used to make one item.
Find the Dictionary Definitions:
How do people use natural materials?
- the kinds of things we consider to be resources
- the choices for the locations of human communities
- the way humans learned to transform resources into more useful items.
- 1. What are natural materials?
- 2. Resourceful humans
- 3. Building communities
- 4. Heavy metal
- 5. Dedicated followers of fashion
- 6. Modern use of natural materials